Tuesday 3 July 2012

A piece of Catalan culture

I start my blog today with the idea of getting people to talk about their recreational Interests. It sounds funny these days people talk and meet on the Internet, I know. What I am trying to achieve here is to open a forum to talk about recreational  thoughts, interests  and ideas, so we can all learn and benefit from each other’s stuff – for example:

I went to a very remote place for Easter called
Set Cases (in the north of Spain) and this is where the river Ter begins. It is a very small town on top of the Pyrenees mountains where people go skiing and spend relaxing hours looking at the sky, walking and breathing fresh air. Set Cases in English means Seven Houses. I invite you to discover Set Cases through the video clips and find out how you could enjoy a few days of glory. Unfortunately the web is not translated but the clips are beautiful and don’t need much translation. View The Fair of St George’s Day and find out where to eat the best mushrooms in town. Watch the main town fair clip called Festa Major Setcases. (minute 2:36 locals start dancing the typical Catalan dance La Sardana). You can also learn about the wild mushrooms through Festa dels Bolets clip.
I also saw a band there called Caliu and they are from El Maresme, nearby Barcelona. El Maresme is another beautiful part of Catalonia with long beaches and plenty of sunshine.
I have plenty more stories and things to share – from my own country, from Mexico and other interesting places. I can tell you how to cook a Catalan dish or how to bake Brunyols - my Mum’s favourite thing.  
Why don’t you share an exciting or funny story with all? You can add some photos or even a video.

·         Did you follow the Euro cup? What was your favourite team?
·         Can you recommend local food and wine from your country?
·         What is the top movie you have seen in the last year? 
·         What is the last music or culture festival you have been to? Where?
·         What did you cook last time you had guests at home? Can you give the recipe?
·         Do you have any funny stories, photos or videos that you would like to share?
·         Can you tango? Do you know where to learn?
Sure you have also loads of stories to share.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely place Set Cases - i shall add some of mine stories later - thanks for sharing ur experiences
    RmP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to learn how to bake the Catalan Brunyols. Could you give the recipe out? ....I also loved the mushrooms clip - cheers for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi PlumPlum
    Cute name! Sorry didnt catch you when I was back, it was crazy busy! Anyway, here are a few answers
    I followed England of course, but then knew Spain was gonna win...
    Favourite food is cheese, favourite white is Albarino and favourite red is Tempranillo or Merlot... see I do like Spain after all lol...
    All my movies here are on my hard drive, I recommend Drive or Crazy Stupid Love both with Ryan Gosling yum!
    And no I cant tango... but I can shake my booty a plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the Italians would be the winners :-(
    Thanks for the recommendations on the movies
    Watch at this tango clip - it is amazing (proper from Argentina)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhQNRsH3uc
    Cheers
    Plum Plum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ramon, I like very much the way you describe the village of Set Cases. In Mexico, there are places like this, where you can just breathe and enjoy the scenery, but now with the vote for president, the smell that permeates is fraud, but let's stay with the image of the landscape of "La Marquesa" , and the good food as fresh and natural that you can taste, and for dessert a cake tres leches, Mmmmh, delicious, I hope to find other new notes in your blog, and if you still go to Set Cases, eat a brunyol for me. Cheers. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ramon,

    Nice blog, I would like to answer one of your questions in this post. Is about the Euro cup, I followed it and I was supporting Spain because is my country and I also think that at this moment is one of the best national football teams in the football history. It was really funny to watch the matches in a different city as London with people from everywhere.

    The best moment in the tournament was the final and the way that Spanish team won and later the celebration in Piccadilly Circus with lots of Spanish people, for I while I felt like I was in my country celebrating this big result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Antonio - thanks for your comment.
    I was also in London watching the match with friends but I missed the celebrations in Piccadilly Circus - we celebrated in doors with some spanish wine :-)
    Viva España!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ramon,
    I find your blog very interesting and I like the concept of everyone being able to share stories about themselves and also this being a platform of exchange and an opportunity for us to talk about our cultures. I am from the French speaking part of Switzerland and have been in England for over 10 years. I also spent one year in South America where I was able to learn Spanish and work for Amnesty International. There is a lot I could recommend in terms of local Swiss food, but every area is different and largely influenced by the culture and language spoken. I am from the French speaking part, so we are very much influenced by France. We have amazing bakeries in Geneva just like in Paris (if not better :). However we can also taste the Swiss-German specialities and I would highly recommend you taste the "Rösti ditch", which is similar to hash browns. They are grated potatoes which can be served with meat - traditionally served with veal and mushroom sauce. This dish is so delicious and you should definitely try if you travel to Switzerland one day. And to comment on your tango question. Yes I do dance tango - Argentinean tango as there are different types of tango. Did you know that tango has been voted a cultural heritage by UNESCO? Ramon now one question for you - do you dance tango? Great blog, will definitely be reading it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - tried tango many times but not great at all - would love to. Will need to get onto some lessons.
      "Rösti ditch" sounds tasty - will ask some of my friends from there to bring me some when they travel.
      Thanks for sharing and participating. take care

      Delete
  9. Hello Plum Plum
    What a wonderful idea about recreational interests.
    Last music fesitval i went to was the stone roses and before that it was Latutude last year. Both in the English Summer and both rained on - no sorry Latitude was a complete wash out but it didn't stop me from satying until the bitter end.
    I can't tango but have been thinking of learning for my upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can confirm that Ramon's mother Brunyols are excellent!!!! I got her recipe many years ago and it is one of my favourites. I bake them every year in Easter and the whole family enjoy them!!

    Mónica

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. the ey yaa dot com

    ReplyDelete